This guide is for low-level students writing their TOEFL that is first independent. Advanced students may decide to skip straight to our advanced guide.
Special Offer: TOEFL Essay Evaluation and Scoring Available Nowadays!
Would you like to have your practice essays reviewed and scored by a TOEFL expert? We now offer an essay evaluation service that is express. Have your essay reviewed and corrected (line by line) by a native speaker! Learn what you need to improvement in order to boost your score. Packages start at only $7.50 per essay.
(note, students in a rush may wish to skip right to our TOEFL essay templates)
Begin by making a plan of one’s essay. Look at the picture below:
The student starts by writing a point that is“main at the top of the chart. This might be her “answer” to your relevant question posed by the exam.
Below the main point the student writes two “reasons” to support the main point. These are broad and never too specific. However, they need to be unique. The causes really should not be much like one another.
The student writes two “details. below each of the reasons” they are more specific. They support the reasons and explain why they usually have cited the reasons. They may also include examples from the student’s life that support the reason why.
Here’s an illustration outline for the question: “What is the best gift to give to a child?” It was written by an student that is actual. Think of it closely:
The student has filled in the outline using point-form notes (not complete sentences). Her main point is “Best gift = pet.”
Her two reasons are “it is educational” and “it is an excellent friend.”
The details through the reason that is first “learn responsibility” and “learn stages of life.” The main points from the reason that is second “never judgmental” and “children often alone these days.” The student has bigger ideas. she is likely to come up with how care that is taking of pet teaches responsibility and she actually is planning to write that students are along because their parents in many cases are away. but the outline is simply her initial ideas.
The remainder of this article will show how to turn this outline into a essay that is complete. I’ll use English that is simple throughout article. High level students should probably use more advanced vocabulary and sentence structure.
I teach my students to create a four paragraph essay in the writing section that is independent. This particular essay is long enough and that can be completed in the right time allowed. Higher level students might try writing a five paragraph essay.
The four paragraph structure is:
- Introductory Paragraph
- Body Paragraph 1
- Body Paragraph 2
- Concluding Paragraph
Let’s begin with the paragraph that is introductory
My students use a sentence-by-sentence process to write their introductions. The technique is it:
- Sentence one: A “hook.” This is an interesting sentence that comes before your main point. It references the relevant question and draws your reader in to the essay.
- Sentence two: Your main point. Within one good, clear sentence state most of your point. Don’t be too long. Arrive at the point!
- Sentence three: A transitional sentence. Try something such as “I feel this real way for two reasons.”
- Sentence four: A one sentence summary of one’s first reason. Begin this sentence with “first” (you can leave this out if you should be low on time).
- Sentence five: A one sentence summary of one’s second reason. Begin this sentence with “second” (you can leave this out if you should be low on time).
Talking about the relevant question above and utilizing the given template, you might write an introduction like this:
“There are many gifts that are great can be directed at a child. In my opinion that the gift that is best to provide a kid is a pet. I feel this way for just two major causes, which I will explore into the following essay. First, a pet can be very educational. Second, a pet may be an excellent friend to a child that is young.
Observe that there are no references to your details in this paragraph. Save those when it comes to physical body paragraphs.
Step three: Writing a physical body paragraph
This is your chance to show your essay off writing ability. I don’t teach a strict model for this the main essay.
I actually do however, have some basic rules. They have been:
- Each reason gets a unique paragraph. Do not combine your reasons into one paragraph.
- Start your first paragraph with a word that is transitional phrase like “first,” “to start out with,” and the second paragraph with “second” or “secondly.”
- At the start of each body paragraph, clearly state your reason. Avoid using a hook, get to the just point. Next, state your details one after another, expanding every one to 3 or four sentences. You can expand by including a personal example from your life. Including examples that pay for essay are personal your lifetime when you look at the essay is okay. In fact, i would suggest it.
- Attempt to use transitional phrases in in the middle of your details (“moreover,” “furthermore,” “also”).
Listed here is a good example body paragraph made using the above outline:
“To begin with, a pet is a very gift that is educational. Having a pet teaches children responsibility. A pet has to be fed every and be given a chance to exercise day. Who owns a pet even offers to see or watch the health of these pet and take action if it becomes sick. Practicing this form of responsibility could make a kid more aged. Moreover, a pet can really help teach a young child in regards to the stages of life. Animals grow even more quickly than humans and a young child can learn a lot by observing how their pet grows up. I had a pet gecko as a kid and watching it grow from an infant to a adult that is full-sized me a lot and got me very enthusiastic about biology and nature.”
Keep in mind that this paragraph followed the outline above quite closely. I stated my reason and then supported it with details. I expanded the information significantly from the point-form used in my outline.
My second body paragraph is created in much the way that is same
“Secondly, personally i think that a pet makes friend that is great. It is beneficial to children to possess pets since they are never judgmental. A child may have a day that is bad school or he could get in a fight with his friends, but he will never fight together with his pet. It will love him unconditionally. Furthermore, pets can prevent children from being lonely. These days parents in many cases are too busy to pay time with their children. They frequently leave their kids home alone. This might leave some kids feeling lonely, but individuals with pets will feel alone. never“
And that’s the entire body of my essay! Pay attention to the way I used words that are transitional”moreover” and “furthermore”) in the middle the 2 details in each paragraph.
I’m not a huge fan of lengthy concluding paragraphs, due to the fact the independent essay is pretty short. But i really do teach a three sentence technique:
- Sentence one: re-state your main point and begin with a phrase like “to sum it up…”
- Sentence two: restate your two reasons, you start with a phrase that is transitional “this is because…”
- Sentence three: once more, restate your point that is main but different words
Here’s a conclusion for the essay we’ve been working with:
“To sum it up, personally i think that a pet could be the very best gift to give to a child. Simply because pets are extremely educational, and additionally they make great friends. There really is no better gift that a young child can receive than a pet.”